Monday, January 15, 2018

Potlucks and Clothes Swaps: The Hosting Choice of Frugal Champions


Every six months, I host a clothes swap and pot luck. My friends and I bring the clothes we no longer love, have a potluck, trade clothes, and go home with something new-to-us to love. It's been so fun to see my unloved clothes get a new life, and I've been able to refresh my wardrobe for free. Everything not chosen gets donated.

I hosted the event yesterday. I made iced tea, my spouse baked us cookies (both gluten free and "gluten abundant"), and I put out leftover baba ganoush from the work party the day before. Friends brought a variety of treats - a veggie tray, a cheese tray, sausages, candies, caramel corn, fruits, nuts, and sodas.


The best part of this party is the people! We spent the afternoon laughing and trying on clothes, telling stories, snacking, and enjoying one another's company. It's fun to see how the same garment looks on different people, and especially hearing someone say, "I like this, but not sure..." and when the next person tries it on, "Oh, that's so much better on you!" The supportive environment is perfect to try things that might not appeal in the store - but at the low price of free might be tempting! If we don't like it, it returns for the next swap.

I highly recommend this as a way to affordably get together with friends and get some fun new things to wear.


No comments:

Post a Comment