Monday, December 4, 2017

Weekly Menu Rotation

There are lots of methods for menu planning. Some people go to the store and buy what looks good, then plan their menu around their purchase. Some sit down with the sales flyers and plan based on the weekly sales before going to the store. Others make a plan a week or a month ahead, regardless of sales or current taste. All of these have their place, but none quite work for me. 

What works for me is using the Pantry Principle, which I learned about in The Tightwad Gazette, a newsletter about frugality that ran in the 1990's and (while a bit dated) is worth a read in book form. Author Amy Dacyzyn explains: "The basic premise is that you stockpile your pantry (and/or kitchen, freezer, basement, closet and/or the space under your bed) with food purchased at the lowest possible price. The sole purpose of grocery shopping becomes replenishing your pantry, not buying ingredients to prepare specific meals."

This shift in mindset has made the biggest difference in my food budget!

My menus are based on pantry staples, and then I shop sales to maintain those staples. I will stock up on an item when it hits a rock bottom price, even if I don't need it that week. Then I have enough on hand to make my meals with the least expensive option and I am not compelled to spend more for the same item when it isn't on sale.


My weekly menu rotation is flexible enough that I can plug in something I find on manager's markdown while shopping, but rigid enough that I don't come home after work wondering what's for dinner. It's a balance that works for me. 

Here's our weekly rotation: 


Sunday - Something Special 
I do meal prep for the week on Sunday evenings. I cook something like a roast chicken or meatloaf on Sunday nights, and then pack leftovers up for lunches throughout the week. I also make a big batch of steel cut oats to have for breakfasts throughout the week, boil eggs and cut veggies for snacks, and pack lunches. A solid two hours of prep on Sunday evening makes the rest of the week smooth sailing! 

Monday - Meatless
I make a big pot of beans and we start eating them Monday night, often with rice. Rice and beans are the rock stars of the frugal kitchen! Bean leftovers are then incorporated to bulk up other meals throughout the week. 

Tuesday - Tacos
Simple, fast, cheap and we never get bored of tacos! 

Wednesday - Whatever's On Sale 
I generally grocery shop on Wednesdays, when there's an overlap of two weeks' sales flyers and my local Mexican market has a meat special of the day. Dinner is whatever meat special I've bought, or more of Monday's beans, spiced up in a new way.

Thursday - Fish
My spouse, Starling, has dinner with his family on Thursdays, and he doesn't care for fish, so it's a perfect night for the kids and I to enjoy a meal featuring canned tuna, sardines, or salmon, or fresh or frozen fish found on sale.

Friday - Leftovers
Having a specific night for leftovers has proven an absolute necessity to avoid food waste. On any budget, wasted food is money in the trash; on a tight budget, money in the trash is not an option! 

Saturday - Soup
We eat soup year round. Chili, stew, chowder - it's all hearty and filling, and a good way to feed a crowd affordably.

Do you menu plan? What method works best for you?

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of peoole stocking up at rock bottom prices- particularly when couponing. I think I might start trying this myself. I was able to do this a little last week when chicken thighs were $0.49/lb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big couponer. I could probably save even more but haven't put the time and effort into that particular method.

      I rarely see chicken lower than $.69/lb and would definitely stock up at $.49/lb.! Great find! We use mostly chicken thighs and drumsticks around here.

      Delete