Monday, February 19, 2018

Bulk Bins for the Win

Shopping at WinCo's bulk bin section is one of my favorite ways to save on groceries. There isn't a WinCo close to us, but when I make a trip up to visit my mom, I make a stop in to refill my pantry. Beans, grains, pasta, baking supplies, tea bags, spices, and treats can be bought in any quantity at a huge bargain, so I can really stretch my budget.

Today, I spent $108.44, including $29.80 in ground beef (I'll share how I prep it later this week!), $8.98 in olive oil, asparagus for $.98/lb, and *lots* of rice and beans!

Beans and lentils are almost always cheapest out of the bulk bins, but I was a bit surprised to find that a 10 lb. bag of rice in the aisles was cheaper than bulk rice. I bought the 10 lb. bag for $4.54, whereas the bulk bin was $.54/lb - making 10 lb. $5.40. Occasionally, the packaged product is on sale or has a coupon making it cheaper as well. If you're shopping in bulk, always double check that the packaged version isn't a better deal!


Our everyday oatmeal  breakfast is made with steel cut oats, bought in bulk for $.63/lb.

 When baking goods go on sale around the holidays, I can often find a 4 lb. bag of flour for under $2.00, but I've never seen it as low as the everyday price of $.35/lb at WinCo.

 Refilling my spice containers out of the bulk bins is one of my favorite ways to keep my meals flavorful on a budget. Today, I completely refilled an empty container of cumin for $.42.

Bulk tea bags! It doesn't get much cheaper for this variety. I get chamomile, lemon ginger, orange spice, chai, peppermint, green tea, and earl grey here.


Frozen spinach is so versatile, and SO cheap! I especially like adding it to my beans, sausage and greens soup, to meatloaf, and to quiche.

I stock up on orange juice concentrate at $.99 a frozen can, and we drink about one each week. I've also used this in orange chicken recipes.

Using the pantry principle to grocery shop, I have a set price point I won't spend over on particular items. I shop to replenish my stock rather than for specific meals, so it's helpful to know where I can get the best deal on things I buy regularly so I can restock and stay on budget. 

Do you have stores with bulk bins in your area? What are your best finds? 

No comments:

Post a Comment