Thursday, January 4, 2018

Eggs with broccoli and sausage: a dinner two ways




Last week, I found three packages of sausage on manager's markdown for $1.75 each, and two had peelie tags for $1 each. The three packages came to a total of $3.25. Each package was then $1.08 and serves 6. That's definitely in my budget!

This week, we have an extra kid with us, and I broke out one of the packages for dinner of eggs, broccoli, and sausage. It's not in our regular menu rotation, but our guest has some food aversions and I'm adjusting not just to fit him into the budget but to serve things he can enjoy as well.

Tonight, my family had an egg, sausage, and broccoli casserole. I fried up the sausage, then sauteed an onion in the sausage grease. I love the extra flavor the onion gets when I use the meat drippings to cook it!  Our friend had eggs, broccoli, and sausage, not touching. We all had a glass of orange juice on the side. The cost broke down to 
$4.25 for dinner for 6 people, or $.70 per person. Not too shabby! 

Sausage: $1.08

12 eggs: $1.49
1/2 bag of chopped broccoli: $.49
1 onion: $.20

1 frozen orange juice: $.99
Dinner that everyone said was delicious and make again: PRICELESS! 


No comments:

Post a Comment